The Hydra Scam

is link posting a job are there jobs posting linksThere is a serious proliferation of a particular scam online which goes by many names. , and has many different skins. This is the “internet link posting” scam. The scam is akin to a hydra. (The mythological beast that Hercules son of Zeus fought.)  Slaying this creature was problematic because it possessed nine heads and every time Hercules cut off one of the heads, two would grow back in it’s place.

This scam is a beast that refuses to be slain. Instead of two heads popping up, three pop up, so we need to defend ourselves against it. As a result of this scam, some questions have arisen on the internet, such as: “what is a search engine agent?”,”is link posting a job?” and “are there jobs posting links?”,”Can you get paid posting links?” I will answer these questions and a few more related to the “hydra”. So let’s get started shall we?

Attributes of the Hydra Scam

Like I said  earlier The hydra presents itself in many guises. It will usually appear to you in the form of an unsolicited email,  often going by a different name, and sometimes a whole new look. However, it still retains the same basic outline on the inside.( I get so tired of looking at this thing!! IT IS EVERYWHERE ) Visual aids located on the right.                                                         arrow

Single mother raising a young child on her own ( Always )

Chilling day that changed her life. She loses her main job ( sometimes she has several jobs ) and can’t pay her bills

Cries for days until she gets mad and takes control of her life. Makes a list about the kind of job she would like to have

Talks to everybody she knows and meets to see if they know of anything like that.

Meets a kind stranger at her doctor’s office ( or wherever ) and it is always a man. He tells her how he has been working part time for years “posting links” on the internet, and he tells her how he does it.   ( Often she is sworn to secrecy. )

She gets to work putting this plan into action. Three months later she quits all of her jobs, Works only three or four hours a day, provides her child with whatever is needed and lives life to the fullest. ( Sometimes she is a millionaire )

Some corporate types suggest she write about this “program” and share it with others. Which she does. She doesn’t really need the money, so she is offering this to you for the low, low, price of $97. Depending on how many times you try to leave the page. Could be $77, $47, or $37. ( Valued at $2000 by the way )

They tell you there are  link posting jobs at fortune 500 companies ( Not true )

Then there is a bunch of hype that follows about how you can live the life of luxury, take advantage of these companies by horning in on their profits.

Lately they have been offering a free website, They fail to mention that although the website is free, you have to pay the hosting costs. (This has always been the case, until recently however you would never know until the price was paid and access was granted to the members only area.) Or, the hosting is free and you must pay someone to design the website for you.

You will also be able to post links offline. ( ????????  whatever that means ) She has only demonstrated how to accomplish this online because that is how it is usually done.

Then of course after all of that you will be able to sign up. 9 times out of ten, the sign up area bears the name of a completely different hydra head.

These hydras always come with a disclaimer. It has become a requirement by the government. A;ways scroll down to the very bottom of the page and read have a look at the footer. You will usually see this in the last paragraph of said disclaimer:

work@home work at home

Some of these will actually say  “Government Required Disclaimer” What does that tell you?

Is Link Posting a Job?

crossed outLink posting is not exactly a job in the traditional sense of working directly for a company and receiving a regular paycheck. In fact it isn’t a real job at all. These scammers invented terms such as “search engine agent” and “link posting agent” To mislead you into believing it is an actual job where you receive a regular paycheck. It was necessary to call it something in order to get people to believe they could actually make a living, buying into the program they sell. And by the way, since when is it a prerequisite to pay a fee in order to be employed? Ask yourself this question before you fork over $97.

My Theory of Origin

Picture 62I’m sure you have heard The saying ” There is a grain of truth in every rumor” No? Well maybe that isn’t exactly how it goes, but I’m sure you get the gist of it. So as I was saying, there was most likely, at some point in time (at the beginning of all this mess) an actual woman struggling on her own, an actual stranger who told her his secret, and people actually made some sort of money implementing this procedure.

If  this is true, then even though it worked in some fashion, it is no longer an effective affiliate marketing technique. Affiliate marketing has outgrown this form and has moved on to a bigger and better type of approach.

My Advice to You?

If you encounter the hydra, don’t be fooled. Do not succumb to the hype and general outright lies this scam keeps perpetuating. Trust me, it is no longer an effective technique. Typically more money is spent than earned. They only guarantee your money back for the initial expense of  $97 to buy into the program. You will not be reimbursed for money expended in the placing of ads nor the cost of hosting for a “free” website. That will remain a loss.

In case you have recently purchased a hydra type scam, I wholeheartedly suggest you put into motion actions necessary to get your money back. Please save yourself some time and money.

Learn the Skills !!

get trainedAffiliate marketing is a feasible way to enjoy self-employment and generate a stream of honest income online. Assuming you wish to become an affiliate marketer and learn the necessary skills, I know of a way to help you that  isn’t going to cost you $97 to give it a whirl. In fact, it will not cost you a dime. A credit card is not a requirement either. For this fee of $0, you will receive ten free lessons, two free websites, free hosting and all of the support you will possibly need for questions and help 24/7. Also, I will be there to personally aid you in your endeavor. That’s a promise !!

So I hope this information has been enlightening as well as helpful to you. I do hate observing the swindling going on with the hydra and hopefully one day the beast will be permanently slain. If you have any questions or I can assist you in anyway, please, drop me a line in the comment section below.

65 thoughts on “Is Link Posting a Job? Are There Jobs Posting Links ? Answers to These Questions and More

1. craig kelley

I am so greatful that you set me straight about posing ads/links for companies was a scam the whole time thank you so much for bring me some reality. I would greatly appreciate any help f inding some gainful employment legitly from the comforts of my own home, im a disabled man looking to live a little more comfortable. Again im not looking to becpome a millionaire if there is something i can do from home to subsidize my income than im all for it.

2. Smithg505

Good blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

3. Ennie

How can you be of help with Affiliate Marketing? I am very interested. Is this the only legit way to make money online? Somebody help me out.

1. Polly Post author

You have anything specific in mind with which you require assistance or is this a general WTF situation?

4. Linda Gilstorff

I would like to learn more about Wealthy Affiliate

5. Melissa

Your program sounds very much like what you are calling a scam except you aren’t asking for one fee. You are asking for a monthly amount yet in your article you speak about not paying to be employed, “Since when is it a prerequisite to pay a fee in order to be employed?” This sounds to be as much a scam as the other ones.

1. Polly Post author

Okay Melissa, sorry for the confusion on your part. I went back and re-read my article, and unless I am mistaken, nowhere did I ask anybody for any kind of money.

There is no mystery here. I am simply offering a free trial at Wealthy Affiliate with no strings attached. Which, by the way, none of these scams offer. And if they do, They want a credit card to hold hostage.

The starter membership is free. You get two free websites, free hosting, 10 free lessons, and enjoy most of the privileges that premium members do for 7 days. Premium membership is OFFERED not required. The choice is entirely up to you.

I decided to join premium because I knew this was a legit opportunity to actually learn how to make money online. I paid the membership fee for the services they provided. Website hosting. I can have up to fifty at no additional cost. Webmail service, thousands of videos and tutorials, a live community I can access at anytime day or night. Redundant backup servers. Outstanding website security, my site has never been hacked or gone down due to any error on their part. Technical support accessible 24/7. I have never waited longer than ten minutes for an answer from tech. Domain registration with no excessive or add on fees. And the list goes on.

These scams always invent a fictional character. They put a little tab for you to check so you can speak directly to Whatever fictional character they have invented. In my case Bobbie Robinson and then they tell you she is extremely busy and has a very competent staff to handle her affairs. Took them two days to answer me every time I put in a support ticket.

Kyle and Carson, the owners of Wealthy Affiliate are real and I have spoken to them many times. They always answer my Private messages.

I do not work for them. I work for myself. I pay a membership fee to enjoy the services they offer. I guarantee you will not find anyplace that offers the services they do without spending $$$$$ They teach all of that but you have to work for it. They don’t just hand it to you and they don’t sugarcoat it and tell you that you only have to work 15 minutes a day.

In no way shape or form is WA anything like these digital waste products. But you don’t have to take my word for it, you can join for free and experience it for yourself. Then you can make statements based on accurate information.

1. chyna

I actually got this and no one helped me with anything it was very hard and confusing I have up..I didn’t understand it is believed it was just another get your hopes up program. Till this is have not accomplished anything or got help..waste of money and time.

6. SUNIL SINGH

Hi, I am interested in this job so please send me the further details for the same. Thank

7. Margaret

Had a question on terms of service. It is free unless you get the premium service? Do you need premium, can you see how it goes first, if you are actually making money? How long have you been involved and is is paying off for you?

4.2 Wealthy Affiliate Premium and Other Paid Services. For Wealthy Affiliate Premium, and other paid services made available through Wealthy Affiliate Starter and Wealthy Affiliate Premium (“Paid Services”), you must provide Wealthy Affiliate with a valid credit card or other forms of cash payment (e.g., PayPal) to pay for Services. If you are purchasing Wealthy Affiliate Premium or Paid Services via an online purchase, you can choose to purchase on a monthly or yearly subscription. You must provide Wealthy Affiliate with a valid credit card or PayPal account, and you authorize Wealthy Affiliate to charge the credit card or PayPal account for the recurring subscription, as per the auto renewal terms below.

1. Polly Post author

Yes it is free unless you go premium. I have been involved for three years and yes it is paying off for me.You don’t have to have premium, and yes you can see how it goes first that is why the free trial is offered. If you decide to go premuim then of course payment is expected.

8. Marsha Kennedy

The description of the scam mentioned above sounds like the program I just spent $77.00 to get. I am so disappointed. I really need to work from home and it is so frustrating to continue to get this mess.

1. Polly Post author

I hear you Marsha. I have been where you are. Fortunately I ended up at Wealthy Affiliate before I spent too much money.(Which I didn’t really have anyway)
      May I ask the name of the program you paid for?

I would just like to tell you that this scam I have outlined continues to proliferate. It continues to change it’s name and appearance(sort of) but it is still the same. I really haven’t met anyone who actually made profit from a Hydra. I know I didn’t. The one positive aspect is that you can usually get your money back. If you tell me the name of the program you purchased, I would be more than happy to assist you in this matter.

Marsha, I really think you should get your money back. It will only get worse as it progresses. They will try to sell you more stuff and the money you spend after the initial cost will NOT be refunded and would be considered collateral damage. Don’t let it get that far.

2. Gwendolyn Lynch

I really appreciate the truth and advise I almost fell for that scam. I`m really interested in your affiliate marketing job online.I really need to work at home due to my illness, so if you could please get back with me tomorrow after 5:00pm I would really appreciate it so much. Thank you very much

Hey Gwendolyn,
        You could call me or Skype me if you wish. My number and Skype link is at the top of the page on the right. I would be more than Happy to discuss it with you. If not, please go to this link and follow the instructions.

9. Smithd577

When I originally commented I clicked the Notify me when new comments are added checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails using the same comment. Is there any way you may take away me from that service? Thanks! ebegdaedkddgeaed

1. Polly Post author

Well… to tell you the truth I wasn’t aware that there was that option. But I will do what I can to remedy the situation. Just Give me a little time ok? I will do what I can.

10. Wendy

Hi there, a few questions..what’s the difference between a starter membership and a premium membership? I do not have a landline, I have VOIP and wireless internet service. Would I still be able to do this? What’s a realistic amount to expect to shell out each month for expenses, and what’s a realistic amount to expect to earn per link? How much traffic do you need to a website to be successful? Do I have to constantly work on this, or will it run itself (is there payment each time a link is used, or is it a one time deal?) I’m at home on disability and would love to be not depending on a gov’t check.. I want to work, but can only do a few hours each week, so I’m trying to decide if this would be worth my time. I only have about $100/mo after all my expenses each month. Thanks for answering my questions : -)

1. Polly Post author

1)Well…click on the link to see the difference between starter and premium.

2) You don’t need a phone just an internet connection. What you have is fine.

3) If you stay with the starter membership, It is free so $0. If you have a premium membership it is $47 per month. A domain name which is $13.99 per year if you get it at WA.

4)The amount earned per link all depends upon the percentage paid to you from the affiliate company and how much the visitor spends. No set amount.

5)That question is kind of difficult to answer. It is a good idea to set a certain amount of time each week and stick to it. As with anything, the more you put into it the more you get out of it. This is actually work and not a “system” that will help you get rich quick. I do something related to my website everyday. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few minutes. In the beginning you will need to put much effort into it in order to reap the rewards. Eventually, It will pretty much run itself and not be so labor intensive.

6) There is payment only if products are purchased as a result of them using your affiliate links. You do not receive payment just from them clicking a link.

7) This is about affiliate marketing and owning your own website. Not just posting links.

I hope this answered your questions. If you try out the free starter membership,(no credit card required.) all will be made clearer.

If you have more questions, feel free to return. I am here. And I want to help.

11. Leanna Long

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I was just about to pay the money until I saw your article. I’m on disability and my rent takes half of what I make not including supplement health insurance, prescription insurance, and life insurance. I have a whooping $100 left for the whole month. I used to get $118 in food stamps until they dropped it to ameasly$16 a month!!! Just buying coffee, creamer, and sugar costs that much. I was sooo desperate to earn money just to buy what I need a month I was going to join and pay the $97. I figured I would make that much a day and get the $97 back. Otherwise I would have nothing left!!!!! Idon’t know what WA entails but it sounds like the pyramid jobs. I tried one of those years back and had to write sooo many emails because I didn’t know how to paste or make mailing lists. I am not computer savvy but am a fast learn. I know nothing about having websites and working them. Can I still do this? I don’t want to get roped into another MLM where my coach is hounding me all the time and getting angry because I was’t making him any money. I was sooo stressed out

You know Leanna,
      I can understand your caution. They sure do make those “link posting jobs” sound good, don’t they? About three years ago, I actually paid the $97 thinking just like you; That it would not take long to make my money back. Pfffffttthhhh!! They sure fooled me.(Fortunately, I was able to obtain a refund.) I was very naive back then. All I knew about the internet was how to surf it and all I knew about websites was how to land on them. Shoot girl, I didn’t even learn how to cut and paste until about two years ago. My friends laughed at me. I laughed at myself.

But all of that changed when I joined WA. I built this website myself, using the skills Kyle and Carson have taught and the tools they have provided on their website.

So let’s discuss the MLM and pyramid schemes. Some MLM’s are legit and some are not. MLM is a form of marketing whereby participants earn commission’s from their own sales as well as commissions from sales generated by the people they’ve recruited. Ever heard of Mary Kay Cosmetics? Classic MLM. Legit as all get out.

When the MLM company focuses on selling products to the public it is probably legit. If the focus is on recruiting and selling products to recruits only, then it becomes a pyramid scheme and is illegal.

Wealthy Affiliate is nothing like that. Believe me, when I tell you nobody will be like that. For one thing, you won’t be sharing your profits with anyone, you will be taught everything you need to know about building running and maintaining a successful website and all that entails.

The best way for you to understand it is to experience it. And… you can experience it for free for one week before you decide if you will pay for a membership or not. You won’t be roped into anything.

If they can teach me how to do it, they can teach anybody. Give it a shot. You truly have nothing to lose. All it takes to get started is your name and an email address. I’ll be waiting to help you, Leanna.

1. Ashley Lunday

How do I get my money back? I just fell for the 97$ crap. No number or email and they sent the info to the wrong email address

1. Polly Post author

Do you remember the exact name of the particular hydra you became involved with? There are many as you can see from my article. If you let me know which one, I might be able to help you.

12. Guillermo Sanchez

Hi I am trying to start an account with you guys at Wealthy Affiliate but for some reason I can’t get in. It insists I already have an account. I’ve tried 2 different emails and none in which are recognized. What can I do now?

13. Debra Lebish

Polly.Hello there.Am a sigle woman trying to survive on a part-time income.I am not computer literite.All I have is a cell phone.Is it possible to still do the program?Dont have the extra money to purchase a computer/tablet at this time.Thank you Debra Lebish

1. Polly Post author

Yes Debra, it is totally possible. I know a few people who started that way. As long as you can see what you are doing, not a problem. Sign up for free here

14. REBECCA MORGAN

I WOULDLIKE TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON LINE NO FEES UP FRONT FHANK U

15. Karl

Thank you for your heads up on, “search engine agent and link posting agent!” I thought that it was too good to be true in as much as she gave away the main body of how to make money and all anyone has to do is the research to find the feasibility in holding any one of these position or anything similar! I do research every day and it was a simple question to google that got me to this site to corroborate what I had already thought to be what you so aptly informed your audience to be, a hydra! Thank you and please continue providing this kind of insight!

1. Polly Post author

Your welcome. I just noticed the similarities and called it like I see it. Hopefully by causing awareness we can actually start to burn some of the stumps

16. Stephen

Hello Polly, I must say that I completely laughed my ass off reading about this. Your assessment is spot on. I am interested in making money legitimately on line and don’t want to get duped in the process. Thanks for the info.

1. Polly Post author

More than happy to help out and glad you liked it. There are just so many scams out there that follow this scenario. Even other scams use the same basic approach. I actually found one lately that aimed for the male demographic and used a male model with the same basic sob story. Check it out here.

17. kelly

Thank you for posting this!
    I have a question.
    So if you want to use Affiliate marketing to make money,
    first you need a Website and has lot of audience (traffic),
    But have to be Website? How about Facebook page or Twitter or Blog?
    How many audience (traffic) we need?
    Thank you.

1. Polly Post author

Good question. Included within the lessons are instructions on how to use social media in order to generate traffic to a website. It is always better to have a website though.

18. Johnathon

Thx Polly!,
    I almost got suckered into that “Hydra” scam just a little while ago. Whew glad i googled more about the link posting jobs! But i am very serious about working towards making some $ from home. I have an amazing family an would love to learn more about running my own website from “Wealthy Affiliate”. Thx an tlk soon.

19. Robert

Thank you thank you so much for posting this!!! I just received an email for this exact same thing!! I had to watch a half hour long video of a woman that explained exactly what you just wrote lmao!! Asking for 100 bucks and order in the next 20 minutes I would’ve gotten 300 dollars off. Obviously skeptical, I Googled it and clicked on your post. I’m so glad I did! Thank you again!

1. Polly Post author

Glad to help out Robert. Good thing you did you research first!!

2. susana m Lowery

Exact same thing for me…. Email, then a website with same exact scenario you quoted

1. Polly Post author

Yep. It is everywhere, that’s fer sure

20. Linda

I just got scammed by one of these companies. They are refusing to refund me my money without creating a domain name which is going to cost me extra. How can I get my money back?

1. Polly Post author

Scan the privacy policy. Sometimes they have a “No questions asked” refund policy. Contest the charges on your credit card. What is the name of the company? Perhaps I cam familiar with it or can do a little redarch for you?

21. Cheri

Well I am blown away. I am always somewhat skeptical about things on the internet. That’s why when I saw that email I researched exactly what ” link posting” was. I had never heard of it before. After reading your comments, & going to the MA website. I am VERY interested in what they have to offer. Especially if it is FREE. I am not computer literate at all, but would really love to learn how to “work” the internet. I have a lot of great ideas & thoughts, but since I really don’t know what to do. They just stay in my head. For example, I have a “Pinterest” page with tons of pins that people have ” repinned” & through the “help” page I was able to figure out how to organize them into “boards”. But I don’t know how to MAKE a pin of my own. So my own pins are actually ” repins” I guess. I am really not sure. I didn’t even know exactly what Pinterest was about when signed up, just that it was something else everyone was talking about. Then I saw how Pinterest it self explained what it was online. So at least I understand that know. But you can see how computer illiterate I am & this program really sounds like it could help, without costing $. Thank you for that!!

22. eric

Im intrested in making money online and at home how should i go about it what are the options without dealing scams and getting scamed into something i dont know nothing about all i am intrested in is an honest deal making money where im not spending money to get started and i make money immediately and its worth my time without being linked to spambot activities

1. Polly Post author

Calm down there Sparky, let me see if I got this straight: You know nothing about all of this and you want an honest deal. You want to make money immediately without spending any money or putting forth any time or effort to achieve this goal. Does that about sum it up?.

What you need to understand is that none of these will happen for you until you apply yourself, and yes you will have to spend a little money. The key is to minimize your overhead and buckle down and work for it. Money isn’t free, and you will never ever achieve online success with that attitude.

Now if you really wish to learn and take this seriously then sign up for the free trial at Wealthy Affiliate. Learn how to become an affiliate marketer.

1. Polly Post author

What would you like to know more about? A little more detail please so I can help you out.

23. Patricia

Sounds good but are there not monthly fees to build a website , get a domain, keep a website ?

1. Polly Post author

There are Patricia. Domains themselves are a yearly rate, relatively inexpensive. Like between 10 and 12 dollars a year.But you have to ask yourself, “Where can I get the best deal”. I can guarantee that Wealthy Affiliate offers the best deal online anywhere because free hosting and two free websites isn’t all you receive at WA. The starter membership is free. Premium is $19 the first month and $47/month after that. You get so much more. With premium membership, WA will host unlimited websites and domains for you. Other companies charge a higher rate when you increase the amount you host. plus all the training available. Live chat available 24/7. Thousands of like-minded entrepreneurs all in one place. There is nothing like it anywhere else in the world!!

Don’t miss out on you chance to get started on your first free website!!

24. Desperate mother of 3

I would be interested in learning about your affiliate advertising . I am in need of a second income to support my faimly but don’t want to be away any longer than I already from my kids. I have tried some online home-based “jobs” only to lose what little money I have. I need something real, please help.

1. Polly Post author

Of course I can help you out. Affiliate marketing is a legit way to make money online. Wealthy Affiliate happens to be the best in the business in teaching the skills necessary to achieve proficiency in this field.

The biggest difference between WA and all those scams you see out there(sorry to hear you’ve been ripped off. Depending on the program you can probably get your money back.Or talk to your credit card company and contest the charge.)is you are given a 7-day free trial to test drive the program. A credit card is not required in order to participate in the free trial.To me that made all the difference in the world. There are no hidden fees. Get started today!! It would be mt pleasure to help in any way I am able. This is as real as it gets!!

25. Vittoria

Polly:
    Thank you for explaining truth! I would be interested in learning about your affiliate advertising which I think I understood to be Zlich…. zero is that correct?

Vittoria in Peoria

Vittoria,
      Yes you understood correctly, The starter membership is free. This will give you a full week to try Wealthy Affiliate and decide for yourself if this is what you are looking for.There is no charge unless you decide to join as a premium member. When you decide the first month is only $19. That is a 59% discount of the normal $49/month fee.However if you do not wish to join as a premium member, you are still free to remain as a starter member at no charge. See you soon!!
      Polly
      LTMMO

26. choya fellows

I would like to take advantage of your offer to(WF) wealthy affiliate thanks

Hey Choya.
      I am happy to have gotten your attention. Now please allow me to help you by accepting my personal invitation for two free websites with free hosting, and ten frww lessons to help you get started online. It is free and no credit card is required.
      Polly
      LTMMO

27. Marion

Hi Polly,

I read your review of the Hydra scam with interest. The point you made: “since when is it a prerequisite to pay a fee in order to be employed?” is really valid.

Regards,
    Marion

Hey Marion,
      I know. I can’t believe these people think they will be taken seriously.It would be different if they could guarantee jobs for the people unfortunate enough to fall for this type of scam. However they do not. That is why I offer an alternative to these scams. I offer everyone who cares to know an opportunity to learn how to run their own online business at Wealthy Affiliate. ( Read more about Wealthy Affiliate.) The best thing about WA is it offers a free trial membership There is absolutely no financial obligation for this. It can’t hurt and it will certainly help. Thank you for your comment Marion.
      Polly